Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Modular Mates - How I Did It

This is how I measured, calculated, and figured out which shape and size to get. The easiest way to do this is contact your local Tupperware consultant, let them figure it out for you, place and pay for your order, then wait for a big Tupperware box to arrive. But wait, I am a Tupperware consultant *face palm* Actually it's not that hard lol. This is how I did it...

Square or Rectangle? Oval or Super Oval?
This depends on your shelf depth. 

If the depth is 11" or longer you have these options:
 -Super Ovals & Rectangles
 -Ovals & Squares
Note: Keep in mind that the Super Ovals & Rectangles are exactly 11" so if your cabinet is exactly 11" the cabinet door may not be able to close.

If the depth is shorter than 11" you have these options:
 -Ovals & Squares
Note: Ovals and Squares are exactly 7.25" so if your cabinet is exactly 7.25" the cabinet door may not be able to close.

If the depth is shorter than 7.25":
- You could use Ovals or Super Ovals but they would fit sideways (not with the clear side facing forward)

How many can be stacked?
This depends on your shelf height.

Each Modular Mate has a number on the bottom of it which corresponds with its height. Ovals, Super Ovals and Rounds are numbered 1 through 5. Squares and Rectangles are numbered 1 through 4.




I used this equation to calculate the height of my shelf in Modular Mate Units:
Height in inches ÷ 2.25 = Modular Mate Units
My example:   11 ÷ 2.25 = 4.89
 Round down to nearest whole: 4
 So my shelf is 4 units high.
I can use any of the following combinations because it adds up to 4:
 1+1+1+1=4
 1+1+2=4
 1+3=4
 2+2=4 
 4=4
I'm I making any sense? Remember if you have any questions, contact your local Tupperware consultant or feel free to leave your questions in the comment section. I will try to answer as best as I can.

How many stacks (columns) can fit?
Add up the widths of your stacks to equal the width of your shelf. Also remember that 2 Super Ovals can stack side by side on a Rectangle and 2 Ovals can stack side by side on a Square.
I made this Modular Mate dimension chart to help: 

Which number Modular Mate do I need to fit the amount of contents I have?
Tupperware has this detailed chart to determine what size will fill your specific needs:

I went by the quantity I by my food in. For example, I buy all-purpose flour in 5lb bags. I used the chart to find out that I should buy a size 2 in the Rectangles. I only had 2lbs left from the bag that was already open but I got the Rectangle 2 because when I use up the 2lbs and open a new 5lb bag, the entire new 5lbs of flour will fit.

Other things to think about:
- The contents may determine the shape of container you get. It's hard to scoop sugar and flour out of an Oval and Super Oval because they are narrow. That's why I went with a Rectangle.
- I think that Ovals and Super Ovals are easier to grab (especially off a high shelf). But the taller the Oval, the more chances of it getting knocked over. Can you imagine 5lbs off flour getting knocked over? Yikes!
- Think about how you will stack your Modular Mates. I try to put the items I use the least on the bottom. Modular Mates are like Lego's for adults! If you are a visual person (like me), draw a sketch of your pantry on a piece of paper. Then write each item on a post-it note. Use this to plan by adjusting/moving around your items and hopefully prevent you from purchasing the wrong size Modular Mate.   
- Tupperware sells an additional cover, the Pour-All Seal, which have a flip-top for the Ovals and Super Ovals.
- You can use different color lids to distinguish the contents. For example, two different brands of cereal.
- The color of the Modular Mate lids do occasionally change. Also sometimes Tupperware has monthly specials that come in exclusive colors for a limited time. 

So here's an overview of my Modular Mate planning:
1. Measure shelf depth - 11.75"
    Use Super Ovals and Rectangles (I could use Ovals and Squares but to utilize the maximum cabinet space I want to used the full depth. Also I didn't want extra space in the front or back of the containers because I knew that could eventually lead to the blocking or hiding of items.)
2. Measure shelf height - 11"
    Use equation 11 ÷ 2.25 = 4.89
    Round down to nearest whole: 4
    Shelf is 4 units high
3. Think about contents and quantity, then refer to Tupperware's Custom Kitchen Planning Storage Chart

It's that easy! I hope my blog post helps you all! Have fun organizing!

No comments:

Post a Comment